- Konzertexamen (Musikhochschule Köln)
- Diplom (Musikhochschule Köln) - equal to Austrian M.A.
- Diplom (Bruckner-Konservatorium Linz)
- Private studies with William Pleeth from 1990 to 1999
- Musikhochschule Köln (class of Prof Maria Kliegel)
- Hochschule Mozarteum Salzburg (class of Prof Wilfried Tachezi)
- Brucknerkonservatorium Linz (class of Prof Wilfried Tachezi)
- 2017-2020 Honorary Professor, China Conservatory of Music, Beijing/China
- 2016-2020 Associate Professor and Head of the School of Music, University of Auckland (New Zealand)
- 2009-2014 Senior Lecturer above the bar, University of Auckland (New Zealand)
- 2000-2007 Dozent, Musikakademie Kassel/Germany
- Masterclasses and seminars worldwide, including
- Shanghai Conservatory of Music, Shanghai/China
- Central Conservatory of Music, Beijing/China
- Tianjin Conservatory of Music, Tianjin/China
- New England Conservatory, Boston/U.S.
- Longy School of Music, Cambridge/U.S.
- University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana/U.S.
- Universidad de Chile, Santiago/Chile
- University of St Andrews/U.K.
- Internationale Sommerakademie Kurt Pahlen Lenk/Switzerland
- Holzhauser Musiktage, Ammerland/Germany
- Orchesterzentrum NRW, Dortmund/Germany
- Folkwang Universität der Künste, Essen/Germany
- Soloist with orchestras including
- Deutsche Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz
- Die Kölner Akademie
- Zagreb Philharmonic Orchestra
- Bruckner Orchester Linz
- Orquesta Filarmónica de Santiago
- Orquesta Sinfónica de Chile
- Recitals and chamber music worldwide, with artists of all generations including Dimitri and Vovka Ashkenazy, Walter Auer, Eduard Brunner, Cao Xiao-qing, Nicolas Dautricourt, Jörg Demus, Mei Yi Foo, Homero Francesch, Christopher Hinterhuber, Peter Katin, Elsbeth Moser, Lena Neudauer, Menahem Pressler, Norman Shetler, Hugo Ticciati, the Acies and Minguet Quartets and many others
Almost 60 albums as a soloist and chamber musician on labels such as Naxos, Capriccio, paladino music and Musicaphon, with premiere recordings of all major cello etudes for cello as well as standard and rare repertoire. While a full list can be found here, recent noteworthy releases include:
- Ries, Complete Music for Cello Vol. 1 & 2 (Naxos, 2018 & 2019)
- Popper, Complete Cello Concertos (Naxos, 2019)
- Reinecke, Complete Works for Cello and Piano (Naxos, 2019)
- Vaughan Williams, Fantasia for Cello and Orchestra (Capriccio, 2017)
Awards and distinctions include the Pizzicato Supersonic, Fanfare Wish List, Ö1 Pasticciopreis, American Record Critic's Choice etc.
All major cello etudes by Popper, Duport, Grützmacher, Merk and Battanchon for Bärenreiter-Verlag. A full list can be found here.