Knowledge Proof German
Proof of German language skills
If you are interested in a regular course of study with German as the language of instruction, you must have sufficient knowledge of German and provide proof of this knowledge. Proof of your German language skills is provided by presenting one of the following documents as part of the application process:
- Reifezeugnis (school leaving certificate) from a German-speaking country or an Austrian or German school abroad.
- German as an examination subject of the foreign school leaving examination
- Completion of the 8th grade of upper secondary school at a German-speaking school
- Completion of compulsory schooling up to 9th grade at a German-speaking school
- Completion of at least three years of studies at a German-language university
- at least three years of completed studies in the German language at a state-recognized university abroad
- Completion of the pre-study course of the Viennese universities in German as a foreign language with a degree in the required language level.
If you do not have any of these certificates, only the following certificates or documents from the following providers will be accepted. The equivalence of these certificates or documents with the required language level has to be verified by our cooperation partner "eloquent":
- Austrian German Language Diploma (ÖSD)
- Examination or language diplomas of the Goethe Institute
- Language Center of the University of Vienna
- "TestDaF" (Test of German as a Foreign Language)
- Vienna International University Courses
- Austrian Integration Fund (ÖIF)
The proof must not be older than 2 years, otherwise a new placement/assessment test must be taken. Please note that in some study programs it is possible to provide the proof after the start of the study program. You can find out which ones here.
Please contact our International Office (Claudia Randles, email@example.com) if there are any documents that you would like us to check for you, or if you would like us to pass them on to our cooperation partner "eloquent" for checking at a charge.